Annually, Gershow Recycling provides several one-time, $1,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors from Long Island and the metropolitan New York area. The program is available to local school districts in which Gershow’s facilities are located.
The scholarships are only being offered to students at the following high schools:
- Riverhead High School
- McGann-Mercy High School in Riverhead
- Longwood High School in Middle Island
- Bellport High School (South Country School District)
- Patchogue-Medford High School
- Bay Shore High School
- Walt Whitman High School in South Huntington
- Lindenhurst High School
- Valley Stream Central High School
- Freeport High School
- Herricks High School in New Hyde Park
- Frederick Douglass Academy VII in Brooklyn
Students must be graduating seniors at the high schools listed above and must be pursuing a degree in engineering or environmental sciences when entering college in order to be eligible for the scholarship.
2016 marks the twelfth consecutive year that Gershow has offered the scholarship. Since 1964, Gershow Recycling has been leading the way in preserving Long Island’s environment. The scholarship program reflects the company’s goals of environmental conservation and the need to encourage the pursuit of advanced degrees to enhance our region’s and nation’s competitiveness.
Students who are interested in applying for the scholarship may contact the guidance department of their respective high schools.